Header Ads


WTA Player of the Month: Halep

She racked up the most wins on the terre battue in May, but Simona Halep keeps looking forward.

The Romanian amassed the best overall record on clay for 2017, posting a 19-3 record across four events. After reaching the semifinals of the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix, the Romanian cooled off a red-hot Kristina Mladenovic in one of the best clay court matches of the season to defend her Mutua Madrid Open title before finishing runner-up at the Internazionali BNL d'Italia in the lead-up to Roland Garros.

She reached three finals and raised a trophy in a banner May - and for that, you voted Simona Halep as May's WTA Player of the Month.
In Paris, Halep rolled through her first three matches without the loss of a set, before pulling off a miraculous comeback against Elina Svitolina in the quarterfinals from 6-3, 5-1 down, and outlasting Karolina Pliskova in another three-setter to prevent the Czech from ascending to World No.1.

Though she was unable to take the crown in Paris - and ascend to the top of the world rankings - thanks to a breakout performance from Latvian Jelena Ostapenko, Halep continues to keep her eyes in front in pursuit of the top of women's tennis.

"I showed it’s a new Simo, that I don’t give up anymore, even if I lose a close second set. It makes me proud that I was able to change this in such a short time," Halep told WTA Insider after winning Madrid, when she divulged a brief split with coach Darren Cahill. "Now, I just want to work to keep it and make it stronger. I don’t want to lose this, because my personality can be a bit crazy on court. Now I just have to stay calm because now I can see that when I’m calm, I can see the game and what my opponent is doing. That way, I can play better tennis."

The Romanian heads into the grass court season in pole position in the Porsche Race to Singapore, sitting in the top spot.

Final Results for May's WTA Player Of The Month

1. Simona Halep (87%)
2. Jelena Ostapenko (9%)
3. Elina Svitolina (4%)

2017 WTA Player of the Month Winners

January: Serena Williams
February: Elina Svitolina
March: Elena Vesnina
April: Laura Siegemund

Source: http://www.wtatennis.com/news/wta-player-month-may-simona-halep

No comments

Powered by Blogger.